Offset Symposium 2019: Convening the National Security Innovation Base
March 5-6, 2019
Marines’ Memorial Club, San Francisco, CA
This year's Offset Symposium theme was China, Silicon Valley, and National Security
China’s increased presence and investment in Silicon Valley and other U.S. innovation hubs pose a direct threat to U.S. national security. Commercial technologies from these hubs such as artificial intelligence, satellite imagery, and cybersecurity are transforming not only the future consumer, but the future soldier as well. China’s activity and investment aims to leverage these innovations for their own national security needs, executing a well-resourced and deliberate strategy to become the world’s leading economy and source of innovation – and to overtake the US as the world’s leading military power.
Speakers and attendees at the 2019 Offset Symposium debated approaches to combatting this technology transfer and made recommendations for successful DoD/Silicon Valley collaboration.
2019 KEYNOTE SPEAKERS INCLUDED:
Co-founder and managing partner of WestExec Advisors and former Under Secretary of Defense for Policy
Admiral (Retired) Michael Rogers
Former Commander of CYBERCOM and former Director of National Security Agency
Director of the Defense Innovation Unit and former CEO of Symantec
Dr. James Crawford
Founder and CEO of Orbital Insight
Event WHITEPAPER Now AVAILABLE: Learn more about issues discussed at the 2019 event
- Understand how dual-use technologies will shape the future of our world for consumers and nation states
- Gain clear roadmaps for change by DoD and Silicon Valley to address the problem of technology transfer to China
- Realize how collaboration of commercial companies, investors, and the U.S. Government can support the capitalist and democratic ideals that generated the development of these technologies in the first place
China, Silicon Valley, and National Security
Perspectives from the 2019 Offset Symposium
Download the whitepaper for expert insights on this critical topic.
Engage with the Engines of the Innovation Ecosystem
- Traditional defense companies
- DARPA and Service Labs
- Technology companies and start-ups with proven funding and demonstrated government demand for their products/services
- Commercial innovation hubs such as Silicon Valley
- Venture capital firms
- Initiatives such as the Defense Innovation Unit (DIU) and more agile acquisition processes
The Offset Symposium brings together the government, technology, venture capital (VC), and defense sectors to:
- Discuss the most important issues of technology and national security
- Accelerate discovery of and access to emerging technologies
- Build new business relationships that facilitate rapid integration of promising and powerful technologies
Wrapping up its third year, this annual conference connected U.S. Government buyers facing compelling problems with proven companies and credible solutions.
Explore the unique benefits the national security community offers industry, VCs, and academia:
- Non-dilutive capital
- Challenging problem sets
- Opportunities for technology experimentation & validation
Interested in our cutting-edge capabilities?
Leverage our signature approach to propel your success in the rapidly growing dual-use (commercial and government) technology ecosystem.